Harrity & Harrity is excited to launch its first Minority Firm Incubator program to help train, develop, and launch minority-owned patent law firms. This paid program is an integral part of the firm’s ongoing diversity initiative to recruit, retain, and advance attorneys who will contribute to the diversity of the patent field.
The Harrity Minority Firm Incubator program is comprised of four phases:
- YEAR 1 – Drafting Patent Applications: Program participants will be trained to draft effective, efficient, high-quality patent applications in the technical areas of software, optics, telecommunications, computer networking, e-commerce, business methods, and others. Through the use of our in-house developed automation tools you will learn how to draft like our attorneys, who complete over 100 applications a year and many of whom average less than 12 hours per application!
- YEAR 2 – Prosecuting Patent Applications: Program participants will be trained to prosecute patent applications, negotiate with examiners, communicate effectively with clients, and ensure high-quality outcomes in some of the most difficult art units. Use of examiner analytics and uniform procedures will be emphasized to ensure that responses and other matters can be completed in less time and with a higher likelihood of success!
- YEAR 3 – Firm Management: Program participants will learn firm management skills, such as how to hire and train patent attorneys and support staff; how to establish and manage a law office; and how to pitch, manage, and retain clients.
- YEAR 4 – Firm Launch: Program participants will launch their own new patent law firms with already established corporate relationships. New firm leaders will continue to receive ongoing mentorship from Harrity & Harrity to ensure their success.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Will I be paid during this program?
- Yes, this is a full-time paid program. During the program you will be paid a competitive salary and receive comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, short & long term disability, 401(k), etc.
- Do I have to move to Northern Virginia for this program?
- No, you do not have to move to Northern Virginia for the program. There is the opportunity to be remote during the program, though the ideal candidate would be spending time in our Northern Virginia office.
- Why is Harrity & Harrity doing this program?
- After John Harrity, Managing Partner, suffered and survived a widow-maker heart attack in May of 2016, the partners decided that the firm needed to be more service-driven. The firm launched our charity initiative, Harrity 4 Charity, at the beginning of 2017, and in 2018 the parameters for our Harrity Minority Firm Incubator program were developed. Like our charity initiative, our Harrity Minority Firm Incubator program is focused on serving others. Our goal with this initiative is to create more diversity within firm ownership by launching firms owned by female and minority male patent attorneys.
- After I apply, when should I expect to hear back from you?
- Application submissions will be processed as they are submitted, so applicants can expect to hear back from us within a few days of submission.
- When does the program start?
- The first round of this program launched on February 3, 2020. The second Minority Firm Incubator is scheduled to start on May 1, 2020, but could start earlier based on the number of attorneys applying to the program.
Program partners have committed to, at a minimum, mentoring candidates during the program, and ideally, giving work to the newly launched minority firms. To learn more about how your company or organization can become a program partner email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.