At Harrity & Harrity, we believe that the practice of law is advanced by a more diverse legal team – with diversity of background, upbringing, education, and perspective comes quality legal innovation. Our diversity programs are an integral part of the firm’s ongoing diversity initiative to recruit, retain, and advance attorneys who will contribute to the diversity of the patent field.
Minority Firm Incubator
[APPLICATION WINDOW CLOSED]
Harrity & Harrity‘s Minority Firm Incubator program helps train, develop, and launch minority-owned patent law firms. This paid program is an integral part of the firm’s ongoing diversity initiative to recruit, retain, and advance attorneys who will contribute to the diversity of the patent field.
The Harrity Minority Firm Incubator program is comprised of four phases:
- YEAR 1 – Drafting Patent Applications: Program participants will be trained to draft effective, efficient, high-quality patent applications in the technical areas of software, optics, telecommunications, computer networking, e-commerce, business methods, and others. Through the use of our in-house developed automation tools you will learn how to draft like our attorneys, who complete over 100 applications a year and many of whom average less than 12 hours per application!
- YEAR 2 – Prosecuting Patent Applications: Program participants will be trained to prosecute patent applications, negotiate with examiners, communicate effectively with clients, and ensure high-quality outcomes in some of the most difficult art units. Use of examiner analytics and uniform procedures will be emphasized to ensure that responses and other matters can be completed in less time and with a higher likelihood of success!
- YEAR 3 – Firm Management: Program participants will learn firm management skills, such as how to hire and train patent attorneys and support staff; how to establish and manage a law office; and how to pitch, manage, and retain clients.
- YEAR 4 – Firm Launch: Program participants will launch their own new patent law firms with already established corporate relationships. New firm leaders will continue to receive ongoing mentorship from Harrity & Harrity to ensure their success.
- Must be an attorney or recent law school graduate
- Must have a degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, physics, or a similar technical field
- Must be registered to practice before the USPTO
- Must demonstrate a record of academic and professional achievement
- Must have a sincere interest in starting a law firm
- You are female and/or considered a minority in the legal field, pursuant to the Vault and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Guidelines [African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Alaska Native/American Indian, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Multiracial, Openly LGBTQ, and/or Individual with Disabilities]
CHECK BACK TO APPLY
The Harrity Academy is a free program which introduces diverse participants to the field of patent law, provides exclusive training, practice materials, and mentorship, and teaches how to effectively and efficiently draft and prosecute high-quality patent applications. The goal of this program is to help increase the number of diverse candidates entering the patent field while enhancing the quality of their overall practice.
The Harrity Academy is comprised of three courses: Patent Basics, Patent Drafting, and Patent Prosecution. Courses will be broken into regularly scheduled online classes and include practice assignments, speakers, and one-on-one mentorship throughout the course duration.
- You have a technical degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent fields;
- You are able and willing to commit to every scheduled class in the selected course;
- You are female and/or considered a minority in the legal field, pursuant to the Vault and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Guidelines [African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Alaska Native/American Indian, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Multiracial, Openly LGBTQ, U.S. Veteran, and/or Individual with Disabilities]
- Life/Work balance – work where you want, when you want, and how much you want
- Ample, steady preparation and prosecution work from a mix of leading electrical and mechanical technology companies
- Excellent compensation package that is production-based, and includes comprehensive benefits
- Opportunity for client counseling through direct client interaction, as all clients are firm clients
- Opportunity for career growth/development including training in business development and client management
- Innovative firm culture including cutting edge technology, collaborative work environment, and dedicated support team
We are committed to equal opportunity hiring practices. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.