At Harrity & Harrity, we believe that the practice of law is advanced by a more diverse legal team – with diversity of background, upbringing, education, and perspective comes quality legal innovation. Our diversity programs are an integral part of the firm’s ongoing diversity initiative to recruit, retain, and advance attorneys who will contribute to the diversity of the patent field.
FREE VIRTUAL WORKSHOP FOR BLACK WOMEN IN STEM
Patent Pathways™ is a Diversity & Inclusion Program dedicated to increasing numbers of registered African-American/Black women patent attorneys and agents through free, virtual education, practical exercises, and financial support. The goal is to provide each participant with the tools to take and pass the patent bar and begin their pathway into a career in patent law.
All patent bar expenses will be paid for each participant, and classes will occur in evenings to accommodate existing work and study schedules, made possible by the generosity of our program partners and sponsors.
Patent Pathways™ includes:
- Guest Speakers
- Patent Law Introductory Training
- Patent Preparation Skills Training
- Patent Prosecution Skills Training
- Writing Skills Training by Writing Expert, Julie Seitz
- Resume and Interview Preparation Workshops
- Patent Bar Preparation Courses from PLI
- Paid Patent Bar Exam and Registration
- Career Mentoring & Job Matching
- Patent Attorney Q&As
- Networking Opportunities
The application window for the 2023-2024 programs are now open!
- You have a technical degree in Biology, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent fields from an accredited college or university;
- You reside in the U.S. and are eligible to sit for the U.S. Patent Bar but are not yet registered (see USPTO Eligibility Requirements here);
- You are an African-American/Black woman
The Harrity Academy is a free program which introduces diverse participants to the field of patent law, provides exclusive training, practice materials, and mentorship, and teaches how to effectively and efficiently draft and prosecute high-quality patent applications. The goal of this program is to help increase the number of diverse candidates entering the patent field while enhancing the quality of their overall practice.
The Harrity Academy is comprised of three courses: Patent Basics, Patent Drafting, and Patent Prosecution. Courses will be broken into regularly scheduled online classes and include practice assignments, speakers, and one-on-one mentorship throughout the course duration.
- You have a technical degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent fields;
- You are able and willing to commit to every scheduled class in the selected course;
- You are female and/or considered a minority in the legal field, pursuant to the Vault and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Guidelines [African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Alaska Native/American Indian, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Multiracial, Openly LGBTQ, U.S. Veteran, and/or Individual with Disabilities]
- Life/Work balance – work where you want, when you want, and how much you want
- Ample, steady preparation and prosecution work from a mix of leading electrical and mechanical technology companies
- Excellent compensation package that is production-based, and includes comprehensive benefits
- Opportunity for client counseling through direct client interaction, as all clients are firm clients
- Opportunity for career growth/development including training in business development and client management
- Innovative firm culture including cutting edge technology, collaborative work environment, and dedicated support team
We are committed to equal opportunity hiring practices. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.