Diversity Dialogue ThinkTank: An Update on Programs to Increase the Representation of Women in IP
Harrity Partner and Diversity Co-Chair Elaine Spector meets with Meredith Struby (MCC IP Law), Lisa Mueller (Casimir Jones) and Carlyn Burton (OBWB) for a discussion on the 2022 ThinkTank initiative to increase the representation of women in patent law and the progress each firm has made in the implementation of their new programs brought about from the brainstorming sessions.
Questions covered in this discussion include:
- What do you think is preventing women with science and engineering degrees from registering with the patent bar?
- What can we do about the problem of women not getting technical degrees in science and engineering?
- I know there were likely a number of different programs that came up during each brainstorming session. Can you tell us a little bit about the program you decided to undertake and why? Have you done some similar programs in the past to help underrepresented groups? Can you tell me a little about them?
- How do you go about recruiting participants into the program? Is it hard in trying to target women? How do you get the word out?
- If you were starting the program all over again, would you do anything differently?
- What are your biggest setbacks so far?
- How do you get to the right person at a university or high school?
- What impact do you anticipate it having, in terms of the # of participants, percentage increase in awareness, or similar?
- If someone in the audience wants to start a program to bring diverse people and women into the patent field, what would you recommend?
- What opportunities are available in your programs for people in the patent field to get involved?
You can watch the full session below.
To learn more about Harrity’s diversity efforts, visit harrityllp.com/diversity. For more diversity resources, including all Diversity Dialogue webinars, check out The Diversity Channel.
To get involved in any of the above initiatives, please reach out to Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org.